Purpose & Philosophy
The purpose of Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic School’s Disciple Den is to provide safe and secure before and after school care for the enrolled children of IHM School, as well as for preschoolers and young fives students when they do not have school.
Attendance schedules vary according to the needs of each child and his/her family. There is a basic daily routine that gives the children a sense of security. At the same time, there is flexibility in order to meet the specific needs of the children on any particular day.
We believe that each child is a gift from God and should be treated as such. We believe children learn best through a combination of planned and spontaneous experiences with a balance between teacher-led and child-led activities in order to encourage overall development physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and socially. Activities include but are not limited to stories, large and fine motor activities, language and math games, dramatic play, creative art, crafts, music and movement, sensory exploration, experiments, manipulatives, puzzles, board games, homework assistance as needed, computer (for homework purposes). We believe the outdoors is essential for overall health and development and go out with the children every day (weather permitting).
Days & Hours
The Disciple Den is available before and after school every day that school is in session. When the elementary school is closed, there will be no child care offerings available. If school is delayed due to inclement weather, the Disciple Den may be delayed an equal amount of time.
- IHM students currently registered for both school and child care
- $10 annual child care registration fee and payments up-to-date
- Students’ schedules pre-arranged with the director
- All state- and school-required child care forms completed and on file with the director prior to attendance
- Annual Registration Fee: $10
- Hourly Fee: $5/hour
- Late Fee: $10 for every 15 minutes or portion thereof after closing
- Pay directly through brightwheel using a credit card or bank account.
- Give your payment to a staff member during drop off and pick up.
- Put your payment into the locked box located inside the main entrance of the school, Door A.
- Mail your payment to the school office at 1951 Plymouth Avenue SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49506.